Introduction

I’m horrid at introduction, however, this being the inaugural post of Ostrich and Egret I figured I should bit the bullet with some hopefully informative bits-and-bobs about myself, the intentions of this blog, and whatever else.

Anyway, I’m a perpetual student based in Syracuse, New York majoring in Arts in Cultural Context, which is a self-designed degree focusing on the post-structuralist body, abjection in art, and gender through a feminist lens. All academics aside I am a practitioner of folk magic and traditional witchcraft with a particular interest in American witchcraft. I’ve studied various forms of magic throughout the years from ceremonial magic of the Golden Dawn to contemporary witchcraft originating from the British Isles.

Wish I could claim some profound connection to some metaphysical celebrity, but sadly I cannot. My mother taught me to read palms, cards, and tea leaves; which she learned from her mother and she learned from hers (you get the picture). My maternal great grandfather could remove warts and my grandmother was adept at water-witching.

What’s in a name? Ostrich and Egret comes from chamber rock band Rasputina’s “How We Quit the Forest” from their 1998 album of the same name, “The ostrich and the egret, / Had a very fine flat to let.” Both curious and elegant birds I though the best represented the intention that I had for creating this blog.

I want this blog to be a catalog of curiosities that I run across in my studies and in my ever evolving practice.

I’m very happy with a good cup of matcha, baking, and performing other atypical domestic activities; among other things I’m a knitter, crafter, and pop culture commentator (in an unofficial capacity).

0 comments: